Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Super Tuesday

4 years ago today, I became embarrassed to be an American. At a ripe 17, I worked as a election poll-worker because I was so eager to be part of the democratic process and I just missed being a voter by a few months. I worked from 5:30 am till 9pm, one hour after polls closed in California. When I got home and saw the results pouring in, I actually cried I was so upset and embarrassed to be an American. My motto with regards to the Bush Administration has always been "well, I did all I could, and I wasn't even voting age".

4 years later, here I am, halfway across the world, and for the first time in ages, I'm feel a sense of pride in being American. Anxiously waiting for the results, I keep reading stories of record turn outs. Lines of people excited for change, finally getting off their ass and voting. I feel like I am missing a monumental moment! When my absentee ballot came, my flat-mates all took turns leafing through the sample ballot. To think that so many take the ability to vote for granted! Not to mention the power that those we elect hold on a global level!

I'm sure we will do something soon that will renew my embarrassment by association. Perhaps another war and/or another stab at the global economy? But today, I'm proud to be a part of the big day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you can be embarrassed that gay marriage was banned in california (and arizona and florida, too) - i sure am, and i didn't have a say in the matter!