Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Wanna See the Gold Kate Moss!

So, I have been telling people around here "I Wanna See the Gold Kate Moss" and today I finally did.
The British Museum has an exhibit up called Statuephilia that consists of five different "statues" created by contemporary British artists and installed throughout the museum. Of the 5, one is a full-size solid gold statue of Kate Moss. Why do I know this? Well, it's only been in every newspaper for the past week or so. So, of the 5 statues, there was only one that I had not seen a picture of, either online or in a newspaper, or read a good description of. Strangely enough, I found it the most fascinating. Of all of them, I found the Kate Moss one to be the least interesting. I had never seen a Damien Hirst piece, so I was excited he was one of the contributing artists. His piece intrigued me because it reacted well to the strange context it was given. Imagine 200 brightly splatter-painted skulls. Now imagine them all in a giant antique display cabinet (somewhat like those in the Nature Lab). I don't know how to explain it, but the context just seemed so important and wonderful.The piece that I found the most fascinating was this one. I've always been a sucker for an artist who uses a strange a material to strengthen their message. I also like the ploy of a slightly concealed meaning (in this case, the shadow) as it is something I tend to do in my own work. I don't know, it was just very different from the others, and seemed very humble in comparison.

So, the was another reason I went to the Museum. Today was the last day of the Conservation in Focus exhibition. Since I first got here, I've become increasingly interested in the realms of Curation and Conservation. Seeing as this exhibition was an easy way to ask conservationists questions, I figured I'd give it a shot. Too bad it was a Sunday, so the floor was constantly packed full of people. Well, I did get to ask one woman why she went into conservation and her answer was fairly encouraging. She said she liked problem solving, working with all kinds of modern materials to preserve the past. She was an Art History undergrad and went on to do a postgrad degree in conservation. I couldn't really ask much else as I knew that wasn't entirely the point of the exhibit, but the answers I did get all fall in the realm of my own interests.

No comments: