Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

Stumped at school regarding work, I decided to try again for the Annie Lebowitz show at the National Portrait Gallery. Well, at least now I can check it off my must do list. The show was sort of disappointing. The show was attempting to show run the timelines for Lebowitz's professional and personal life next to one another distinguishing one from the other by photograph size. Al picture of the personal life were the normal 5x7 size and generally black and white. Her professional shots were at least 24x36, many bigger. The simply looked blurry! I was confused. Also, the flow of the exhibition was totally incoherent. If attempting to display the work in a timeline, why would they pick a non-linear way to display the work? It just seemed like there was not enough space. Also, there just generally was not enough information. With five rooms, there were only 4 chat boards ie, the little blurbs you see on the wall, and they were at most 5 sentences. MY favorite part of the exhibit was a room that had nothing but the pin-boards with all of her work organized chronologically, apparently something she did when first deciding to publish a retrospective book. One side of the room for personal life, the other for professional work. It was so much easier to follow that the actual exhibit and at least the professional work looked better because it had the luminosity that I love about her work. The enlarged versions in the main rooms were too blurry.
When traveling back to the Halls, I started to plan out a halloween costume using only things I already owned. I am going as a Rag Doll, mostly because I want to wear as many layers as possible because it is already freezing here. We will see how this goes.

No comments: